What Information We Collect
You provide personal and non-personal information directly to us in several situations, including when you register for a Permissions Portal account or contact us through the Site. Such information includes, but is not limited to, your name, email address, phone number and account password.
When you visit the Site, or interact with emails we send you, we may collect certain non-personal information about your usage or device by automated means or by using the following technologies:
- Cookies (or browser cookies). A cookie is a small text file placed on the hard drive of your computer or other Internet-connected device that uniquely identifies your browser to store information or settings in your browser. You may refuse to accept browser cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to use all of the features of the Site.
- Web Server Logs. In conjunction with obtaining information through cookies, our web servers may log details such as your operating system type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone in which your device is located. The web server logs also may record information such as the address of the web page that linked you to our site and the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet.
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Site and our emails to you may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count how many times those pages have been visited and for other related Site statistics.
We may use third party web analytics services on the Site and in emails we send to you. The service providers that administer these services also use technologies such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons and similar technologies to help us analyze how you use the Site and our emails.
Some browsers offer a "Do Not Track" feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. We do not respond to these "Do Not Track" signals. At this time, we do not track your personal information about your online activities over time and across third party websites. We also do not authorize third parties to collect any personal information from you on this website for these purposes.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information that we collect on the Site for a variety of purposes, including to:
- Provide you with the services you request
- Communicate with you about your account with us and send you information about features on the Site
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Maintain or administer the Site, perform business analyses, or for other internal purposes to optimize or improve the quality of our business, the Site, and the products and services we offer
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent
Who We Share Your Information With
Except as described below, we do not disclose your personal information to any person or entity outside PRH. In no event will we sell or rent your personal information as part of a customer list or similar transaction without your express permission.
We may share your personal information with third party service providers that perform functions on our behalf. These entities have access to your information only as needed to perform their functions.
We may share your personal information with our corporate parents and other affiliated entities for a variety of purposes, including business, operational and marketing purposes.
We may also use or disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the Site; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the Site or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, or the users of the Site or the public.
We may share personal information about you with other third parties when you consent to such sharing.
In addition to the disclosures above, we may disclose non-personal information to third parties, such as aggregate website usage data or demographic reports that do not describe or identify individual users.
Security of Your Personal Information
PRH takes reasonable steps to help protect and secure your personal information. However, please remember that no data storage or data transmission over the Internet, or by other means, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Thus, PRH cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. Therefore, you understand, acknowledge and agree that you transmit your personal information to the Site at your own risk.
Third Party Content and Links to Third Party Websites
Notice to Non-US Users
How To Opt-Out or Correct Your Information
You may always opt-out of receiving future commercial emails and newsletters from PRH. We provide you with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving such communications from us by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link within the email you receive. Please note that your request not to receive unsolicited commercial emails from us will not apply to messages that you request or that are not commercial in nature.
How To Contact Us
Attn: Customer Service
Penguin Random House
New York, NY 10019